***04/24/13: Grounded in Ft. Lauderdale for a bit.
The JetHiking Gypsy is a veteran travel writer with an unusual, crazy idea: is it possible to hitchhike around the country on general aviation planes and private jets? If so, how will she find her way once she lands? Where will she stay? What will she do?
It was questions like these that got the ball rolling on the JetHiking project, which kicked off July 12, 2012. Since then, she has been zipping around the country by air, meeting interesting new friends, and learning about aviation.
STATES REACHED BY HITCHHIKING ON PLANES
visited 25 states IN RED (50%)
Some of the goals for the JetHiking project:
- To see if it is possible to travel the country (all 50 states) by “hitching” rides with pilots.
- Increase public awareness of the smaller sections of the air industry and combat common misconceptions, therefore encouraging more people to become involved.
- Sharing informing and entertaining interviews about the people and culture in the areas visited, with a focus on quirky, unusual attractions, and under-the-radar cities and towns.
- Educating the public on budget travel and how to get around with limited funds.
- Eventually expanding further into international travel and developing a community to help pilots and passengers cut costs.
- Show how much fun flying can be!
Follow the adventure on her blog as she sets off to reinvent modern-day hitchhiking, and check the schedule to see where she's traveling to next!
Or, tune in to channel WALL 1340 in Middleton, NY where she will be making guest appearances on the morning show with Mark West.
For daily updates, follow her journey on Twitter or Facebook to connect directly with the JetHiking Gypsy.
News! (Visit Media Coverage section for a full listing)
3/30/13: Amber makes it to Florida, marking the half-way point in her journey!
3/7/13: AOPA spotlights the JetHiking Gypsy & Women in Aviation!
2/27/13: Al.com features Amber & pilot Erin Seidemann in Gulf Shores, Alabama.
1/30/13: Website being changed over to Wordpress to work with Smartphones. Stay tuned!
1/21/13: Zenith Aircraft Co. Supports the JetHiking Project:
"I love what you're doing! I'm a big proponent of putting the fun back into flying and you're doing it in a big way - way to go!"
President Zenith Aircraft Company
1/17/13: Amber Lands in Texas!
1/2/13: Featured on Airplane Geeks Podcast!
12/16/12: Santa Monica Daily Press features JetHiking.
11/12/12: General Electric Aviation supports the JetHiking Project:
"Amber is an adventurer, unafraid to try new things, who takes full advantage of opportunities as they present themselves. As the Hitchhiker Gypsy, she is bridging the gap between General Aviation and the general public. What she is doing for contemporary travel and GA, in her thoroughly creative and highly visible way, is nothing short of amazing.
It was fun to spend time with her and I wish her continued success as she flies GA across America."
Business & General Aviation